Monday, February 25, 2008

Day 6: People can be mean but I'm doing okay

Today I had some ups and downs.

When I first logged in I discovered that I could chat and IM! I don't know if my Custodian was being nice, or if my Bane helmet was malfunctioning. Anyway I took advantage of my first opportunity to communicate in 6 days.

The first person I met was mean to me. This happened again at Mystical Bondage. This person put a tag on my head and then played an animation of children circling me singing "You're an Idiot, You're an Idiot..." and insulting me as "Ugly" and "Stupid". It was humiliating, I felt like I was being bullied. I am not going to go to Mystical Bondage any more. Here is a picture of my humiliation.

A mean person making fun of me today at Mystical Bondage.

Before I was Bane, nobody ever tried to abuse me or make fun of me in SL. Men in particular were always respectful, even submissive and groveling in my presence. But since I have been Bane, I have seen a very different side of people. I have been verbally and physically abused by strangers several times already. They clearly see me as ugly and defenseless. Why do they feel the need to make me feel worse about myself? I suspect that the person who was mean to me today was a man in RL using a female AV in SL. If nothing else, this experience gives me more empathy for the handicapped and socially outcast people in the world.

If any other former Banes have experienced bullying like this, please post a comment here on this blog.

On the bright side I was able to chat with members of my Custodian's family today. That was nice. And I also IM'd and then chatted with my dear friend June, whom I haven't seen in a long time. I warned her directly that the SLBI might be coming after her and other former Black Orchids. I will probably be punished for it, but I do not want to see any of my loyal comrades turned into a permanent Bane like me.

When I logged on a second time today, I was not able to chat or IM any more. Then at about 6:15 PM the automatic lock was triggered on my shackles, preventing me from interacting with my environment, again.

[18:13] Steel Shackle (RW) 1.13: Steel Shackle (RW) 1.13 automatic lock triggered
[18:13] Steel Shackle (RW) 1.13 whispers: Pamela Munro's Steel Shackle (RW) 1.13 has been locked by (Type 6 U-Shape).
[18:13] Steel Shackle (RW) 1.13 whispers: Pamela Munro is now prevented from interacting with the environment.

I wonder if Custodian found out about my warning to June...


5 comments:

Bethany Bao said...

Hiya Pamela, It's Bethany, Sorry for leaving so quick earlier, RL called. I hope your time as a BANE gets better, keep your head up!

Pamela Munro said...

Yay!! my first comment! thanks Bethany.

Bethany Bao said...

well let's hope you get many more!

Velicia said...

My sis had some people do stuff like that to her while she was in an iso suit in Deitide. One in particular tried to push her into a cage until I came to the rescue. It's what convinced her Mistress that it was time to let her out...

Win said...

The worst that happened to me when testing Marine's banesuit was a guy in an Italian sim who kept coming close to me even if I had made it clear (through emotes, yes, but I can assure I was pretty clear) that I'd be punished if a civilian approached me. In my time in Sable Janus's banesuit, my friend/custodian left me with my cuff keys all available in Deitide for 2 hours, instead, and nobody picked them up. I guess it's all up to luck or lack of it.

I have seen banes being followed by civilians who probably knew they would be getting punished. As an Operator, I try to prevent that from happening (which is, of course, possible only if I am online at the moment... and unrestrained!)...